- 1 package of gluten free penne( I love Tinkyada brand)
- Enoki, shiitake, oyster, and white mushrooms (3.2 oz packages)
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup cashew cream cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- a couple of handfuls of spinach
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. I used gluten free penne, but please feel free to use the pasta of your choice
- Small dice the onion and sauté in skillet with avocado oil for a few minutes add salt to taste
- Add garlic that has been chopped small and sauté for another couple of minutes
- Add the mushrooms. I thinly sliced the white ones, I cut the enoki mushrooms in 1/2″ segments, and cut the shiitake and oyster mushrooms in half lengthwise.
- Add the white wine and more salt to taste and the black pepper
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes and reduce
- Drain the pasta once it has finished cooking and is al dente. Put the pasta back in the pot and add the 1/2 cup of cashew cream cheese base and stir well to combine. Make sure the heat is off. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Once all combined, add the hot mushroom mixture and stir well to combine. Add a couple of big handfuls of raw spinach and stir well to combine and then put the lid on the pot for a couple of minutes so the spinach wilts. Serve and Enjoy!
A few days went by and I had 4 packages of different mushrooms in the fridge that hadn’t been used, and no dinner plans for the evening. What could I make? I hadn’t made a pasta dish in a couple of weeks either, and with a newly made batch of cashew cream cheese base in the fridge, I decided to make a vegan and gluten free version of a beef stroganoff. Success!! I used Enoki, Shiitake, Oyster, and White mushrooms. Instead of using the traditional egg noodles used for a stroganoff, I used a gluten free penne.
Here’s the recipe for cashew cream cheese: