Chocolate Superfood Clusters
Recipe Type: Dessert
Cuisine: vegan and gluten free
Serves: about 48 squares
I love making treats that satisfy a sweet tooth and are healthy too! I use dark vegan chocolate chips, although milk chocolate(vegan) tastes delicious too. The higher the percentage of cacao, the less sugar they will contain, so I choose around 70%. Anything covered in chocolate tastes good, right? You’ll get magnesium, zinc, and omega 3’s from the pumpkin seeds, vitamin E, copper, and B1 from the sunflower seeds, protein from the peanut butter and hemp hearts, along with omega 3’s and 6 and GLA’s, fiber, calcium, and so much more. Oh and did I mention that these are delicious!!
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup raisins (or other small or chopped dried fruit of choice)
- 1 cup of gluten free organic oats(not quick) or 1 cup gluten free organic puffed rice(I use Nature’s Path Koala Crisp)
- 1 cup hemp hearts. You can mix the hemp hearts into the mix or use as a topping as shown in the photo(make sure you press them in though so they don’t fall off)
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and the peanut butter, stirring occasionally. While you are waiting for the chips to melt, you can add all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Once the chips and peanut butter have melted together, stir into the mixing bowl of dry ingredients and mix well to combine. I line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or plastic wrap for easy removal before evenly spreading out the mixture. Once spread out, sprinkle the hemp hearts on top(if you decided to not mix them in, or if you did mix them in, you can always sprinkle more on top anyways). Put in freezer or fridge and once set, you can remove them from the tray by lifting out the plastic wrap or paper and cut into squares. Store these in the fridge.